Everything you always wanted to know about microcement, and you were not afraid to ask – microcement frequently asked questions
Customers ask – and we answer! In order to dispel all doubts related to the properties of the microcement, the way of applying our products, the selection of contractors and the execution of orders, we have collected all frequently asked questions in one place.
I. Microcement properties
1. Is microcement waterproof?
Yes. Thanks to the use of a special polymer, the microcement is in itself waterproof (remember that this material was created as a protection of ship hulls against corrosion! Read: History of microcements). We obtain additional protection against moisture and dirt by covering the microcement with polyurethane varnish.
More information: Is micro topping plaster waterproof? Can I use it in the bathroom?
2. How to clean microcement?
For daily cleaning, it is enough to use water and a mild detergent with a pH above 6. In order to be 100% sure that the cleaning product will not damage the varnish, we recommend you try it in a less visible place before the first use.
3. What is the thickness of the microcement system?
The basic microcement system consists of a primer, 2 microcement layers and a varnish layer. The whole system is about 3mm thick.
4. How many layers of microcement need to be placed?
As a standard, we recommend positioning 2 layers of microcement. In exceptional cases, you can put more of them.
5. Is your microcement varnish suitable for contact with food?
Yes. The hardened varnish is 100% safe. It can be used to protect kitchen countertops and even dishes made of architectural concrete.
See how to make a concrete cake stand
6. What is the shelf-life of microcement?
The shelf life of Festfloor Life is 12 months and FesfloorGo! 24 months (products stored in a closed package).
7. Is the microcement floor slippery?
No. The microcement is not slippery. If necessary, the thicker aggregate in the first layer can be used to provide additional anti-slip protection.
8. The client asked me to build a terrarium for a caiman and finish it with microcement – will it be a safe environment for the reptile?
Of course 🙂 Hardened microcement and varnish are safe and resistant to abrasion. They do not fear even the caiman’s claws;)
9. What optics does the microcement sealer have – is it matte or glossy?
Our microcement varnish gives an elegant, velvety finish – satin matte.
10. What is the difference between Festfloor and Archifest?
Festfloor Life and Festfloor Go! are microcement products – a mix of cement, fine aggregate and advanced polymer that provides very high resistance in a very thin layer. The microcement is used as a finishing layer for floors, wall and furniture.
In turn, Archifest is an architectural concrete consisting mainly of cement, coarser aggregate and additives. It is used for making casts, eg pots, stools, small architecture elements, furniture, etc.
See also: Concrete flower pot – DIY video tutorial
11. What is the difference between FestKontakt and FestGrunt? Can they be used interchangeably?
FestKontakt is a bonding bridge whose task is to increase the adhesion of microcement to the substrate. It is usually used on slippery surfaces such as tiles. FestGrunt is a primer that levels the absorbency of the substrate. Due to different properties, they should not be used interchangeably.
12. Do you have a white microcement on offer?
Yes. FestfloorGo! is available in colors matching the RAL palette, including the shade of white.
Read also: White microcement – photos
13. What is the difference between one- and two-component microcement?
The traditional microcement is supplied in the form of a two-component – dry mass and liquid polymer, which should be thoroughly mixed with the pigment before the desired color is used.
The one-component microcement is ready to use immediately after opening. It is properly pigmented and has the right consistency. It is therefore much more convenient to use than a two-component product, while retaining all the properties of traditional microcement.
II. Microcement application
14. I saw in the online store a kit for applying 10m2 of microcement – how many microcement layers is calculated such a kit?
The kit is sufficient for the application of the primer, 2 layers of microcement and 1 coat of sealer.
15. Can I install underfloor heating under the microcement floor?
Yes. It should only be remembered that underfloor heating should be started, checked and turned off at least 7 days before the microcement is applied.
16. When should I replace the microcement floor?
The microcement floor is extremely durable and if it has been made on a stable and load-bearing substrate, it does not need to be replaced. In special cases, rooms with very high traffic, if necessary, you can renew the floor by placing a new layer of varnish.
17. Is microcement and polished concrete the same?
No. Microcement flooring and polished concrete floors are made in different technologies and have different properties. Polished concrete is a floated floor made of industrial concrete (aggregate, cement, water) subjected to grinding, chemical impregnation and polishing. Such a floor is several cm thick and requires expansion joints to reduce the risk of cracking due to shrinkage of concrete. The microcement is a mixture of cement and resins. It is only a few millimeters thick and is very durable. It does not require dilatation and it will not crack.
Familiarize yourself with the exact comparison of these two technologies: Microcement floor vs polished concrete floor – what to choose?
18. Is it possible to cover furniture with microcement?
Yes. The microcement can be used as a furniture coating – table tops, kitchen cabinets, tables, tables and even doors.
19. Can I use microcement under the shower?
Yes. The microcement can be used both for the finishing of floors and shower walls, bath tubes and shower trays.
20. Do you need to use waterproof foil tanking membrane on the wall / floor connection in the shower when applying microcement?
Both the microcement and the protective sealer are waterproof, but for safety we recommend using waterproof foil tanking membrane, especially if the microcement is made by non-professionals. Microcement layers are very thin and a less experienced contractor can apply the material unevenly creating clearances. The same applies to the application of the sealer.
21. Can I use microcement as a fireplace coating?
Yes. The microcement is resistant to temperature changes and is easy to clean, which is why it is suitable as a coating for the fireplace and walls around.
22. Can the microcement be used outdoors?
Yes. The microcement is resistant to moisture and temperature changes. One should only remember to use a varnish dedicated for outdoor use to protect the last layer of microcement.
23. I want to put microcement on the tiles, how to prepare the substrate?
In the case of tiles with deep joints, it is safest to use a bonding bridge (FestKontakt) and a glass fiber mesh. Thanks to such a treatment, we can be sure that the joints will not be visible on the thin microcement layers.
24. Can I put microcement on the epoxy resin floor?
25. I soon open a cafe / store / service premises – is microcement suitable for places with high levels of pedestrian traffic?
Yes. The microcement has a high abrasion resistance and is easy to clean due to the lack of joints.
26. Is the microcement suitable for finishing the pool?
Yes. The microcement is waterproof, durable and resistant to UV radiation, therefore it is perfect for finishing and repairing swimming pools. You just need to remember to apply it on a dry load-bearing surface.
III. Microcement installers
27. Do you offer microcement application services?
No. As a company, we focus on developing the product and delivering the best microcement solutions for contractors but we do not provide executive services ourselves. Therefore, if you are looking for a contractor, we can recommend trusted microcement installers with whom we work.
28. Contractor postponed the date of the microcement application, explaining that air temperatures are too high, are they right, or they are just stalling?
The contractor is right. The recommended temperature of microcement application is 10-25 degrees C. Above this temperature the microcement binds very quickly, which may hinder or even prevent the correct execution of the wall or floor, but there are a few tricks how to deal with high temperatures…
More information on how to avoid errors: The most common mistakes when applying microcement
29. I’m in a hurry to get my bathroom renovated. A few days ago I poured a self-leveling screed. It has long been tied up, but the microcement installers team still wants to wait with the start of work, why?
To properly make a floor made of microcement, the moisture content of the substrate must not exceed 4%. The fresh screed must simply dry. Usually, for every millimeter of the screed thickness, you need to wait one day, eg if the screed is 10 mm thick, it must dry for 10 days. Only after this time the microcement application can be started.
30. Dark streaks appeared on the microcement wall, what did I do wrong?
You probably didn’t mixed up the pigment well enought. We recommend very thorough mixing of pigment or using ready-to-use FestfloorGo! Microcement, which is pre-pigmented and you do not need to add dye to it yourself.
More information on how to avoid errors: The most common mistakes when applying microcement
31. I would like to do self-renovation of the bathroom using microcement – will I can handle it?
Yes 😊. We want our products to be easy to use even for amateurs. We recommend the use of one-component FestfloorGo! Microcement, getting familiar with its technical sheet and instructional videos on our channel, and if you have any questions, please contact us.
Read our tips: Microcement wall – DIY
IV. Orders and shipping
31. Do you ship internationally?
Yes. We send to every country in Europe and even outside Europe. Please contact us by email to estimate shipping costs.
32. How long does it take for my order to ship?
Fast shipment of orders is a priority for us, therefore orders are shipped to Poland within 24h and in Europe within 48h. Shipping from Poland to some countries takes longer. If you want to know more details about shipping to your country, please contact us.
33. Do you only sell online?
No. In addition to the online store, our products are available in stationary sales from distributors in Poland and Europe.
34. If you export goods from Poland, do you issue a VAT-free invoice?
Yes. For clients from outside the EU and for EU companies with a European VAT number, we always issue an invoice with a zero VAT rate.
35. Can I return the unused goods?
Yes. Unused goods can be returned provided that they are in the unopened sealed package and that they have not expired.